Assalam alaikoum wa Rahmatullaah wa Barakaatuh,
[Extracted from Valley of Seekers Seminar: Living with the Beautiful Names of Allah]
Al-Aziz: The Al-Mighty
(root: ‘-z-z: to be mighty, potent, strong, powerful) The One whose dignity, majesty and power are uniqque, precious and unattainable by mankind. The One who has complete mastery over all of creation.
This name of Allah expresses that He will always triumph and that He can never be refuted, for only He has true power.
The name Al-Aziz has four meanings:
- He who no peer or equal. “Nothing resembles Him’ [Shura: 11]
- The One who is always victorious and is never defeated
- The One who reinforces you and supplies you with power and strength in order to make you victorious
- The One who refuses for His worshippers to be humiliated
Al-Aziz is mostly accompanied each time by one of four other beautiful names:
- The Ever-Wise, which is mentioned 47 times, showing that Allah’s (SWT) Might is based on Wisdom
- Ever-Merciful, which is mentioned 14 times, showing that His might is based on Mercy
- The Ever-Powerful, showing that His Might is based on Power
- The All-Knowing, showing that His Might is based on Knowledge
Blessed is He in whose hand is dominion, and He is over all things competent –
[He] who created death and life to test you [as to] which of you is best in deed – and He is the Exalted in Might, the Forgiving –
In the battle of Badr, Allah brought victory to the believers by sending His help, and so did He in the battle of the trench.
“Since when have you enslaved people while they were born free?” [Omar Ibn Al-Khattab]
- Do not accept humiliation
- Help Islam and Muslims gain might
- Humble yourself before Allah